Thursday, November 10, 2005

4. REFINE YOUR GOAL

Now that you know your starting point, it's time to refine your goal. Your goal should be stated in terms of "how much by when". For example:

My personal goal is to lose 10 lbs of fat and gain 5 lbs of muscle by March 1, 2006. I also have a goal of being able to run 1 mile at a 7 minute pace by March 1, 2006.

When setting your goals, it is important to make sure they are reachable. You may even want to set some intermediate goals so that your results are more attainable.

Some things to consider are that experts recommend you should lose, on average, no more than 1-2 lbs per week. This will ensure you are losing fat and not muscle. Also, reference the % body fat targets in the previous section to be sure your targets are reasonable.

As for me, since my starting point in 174 lb wt and 23% body fat (age 45), if I hit my target of losing 10 lbs of fat and gaining 5 lbs of muscle, my new body fat will be 17.8%. This would rate an "excellent" on the body fat tables. I plan to measure my progress once per month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home