Thursday, November 10, 2005

6. SELF TALK AND VISUALIZATION

I excited about writing this section, because this may be new to you. Now self-talk and visualizations are common subjects within the personal improvement/self-help community, but they are not mentioned within the context of fitness very often.

The intent of these tools is to retrain your subconsious so that it supports you in acheiving your goal.

Self Talk basically consists of repeating a statement to yourself to change how you view something. The statement must be positive, in first person and in present tense, as if it were already true. These statements should be used over a period of time so that they "reprogram" your sub-consious and your self image. They can also be used to remove your barriers to becomming successful.

As an example, if I am having a hard time following my low carb diet, I might use the following self-talk statement. "I enjoy low carb dieting and sucessfully follow my diet every meal". If I say this to myself, out loud, in the morning, at night and whenever I feel like cheating on my diet, I will begin to reprogram how I feel about dieting.

Some other self-talk examples are:
"I work out five days per week and have a firm toned body"
"Working out gives me more energy and improves my health"
"I can easily run one mile in seven minutes"

The bottom line is that these statements should state what you want to be true.

Visualizations are picturing yourself doing or having something that you want. Again, you are tricking the self-consious into believing it is true or at least is possible. When you say your self-talk statement, you should picture yourself living the statement. If it makes sense, as for the "I have a firm toned body" you may actually want to find a picture in a fitness magazine of what you want to look like when you reach your goal so you can better visualize your objective. You can even put a picture of your face on the image to make it more real.

4 Comments:

Blogger Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

6:02 PM  
Blogger bloggrez said...

Lunch with Andrew Ferguson
Andrew Ferguson blogs at AndrewFerguson.net and Student Tablet PC and attends college at the Colorado School of Mines.
Just like so many Americans my friend loves the clubs and club music lyrics so he went ahead and built an awesome website about club music lyrics. When he's in high spirit he goes to the site and start reciting all his favorite club music lyrics. Says it's good for the heart. Guess what? I gave it a shot and it works great!

6:03 PM  
Blogger workfromhome1011 said...

Hello there, I was recently doing a search through blogs for the keyphrase how to make money with google adsense. I happened to come across yours even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I figured I wouldn't mind contributing to your blog by commenting it. I've been quite busy to work on my blog lately but I am interested in topics being generally related to what I search for. I know you may not think this is an appropriate post to your blog, however I would just like to compliment you on your blog and I wish you well in future endeavors with it,

Sincerely,

Mark

p.s. I like to take a look at other blogs to get some ideas as to how I am going to form mine. how to make money with google adsense is related to my future blog building.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Free Poker Capital said...

You have a very fine blog. Great writing style. Keep up the good work. Nice for share this posts. This is Really nice tutorial. That's one thing I'm really looking forward. Looking forward to reading more from you.
Once again, thx. Till next time.

--------------------------
Are you play online Poker ? Get free real money bonus without deposit !
Regards

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home