Thursday, November 10, 2005

Working on balance and core strength

It is 11/14 and I have just finished my second workout with my trainer. We are focusing on using my "core" to improve my balance and mechanics.

The key to this seems to be keeping the shoulder back, stomach in and tight and glutes tight. When I suck in and tighten my stomach, it also pulls my hips under me. The result is that I am using my larger muscles to support my movements. My trainer is promising me that I will be lighter on my feet and that I will not injur myself as I begin to add miles to my training.

The other thing that I am working on at this time is to make sure my feet or always pointing forward and that my knees are in a good position. My right foot has a tendancy to point outward due to an imbalance in the strength of my leg muscles.

The bottom line on this is that it has been a bit frustrating to not get into lifting and interval training as I assumed would happen, but that it makes sense to get my mechanics right first.

This is another reason to use a trainer when starting an exercise program and why it is important to make sure that you have a trainer who is going to do more than put you on a standard non-customized program

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home